AMS Retriever® Adjustments
Tools needed: flat screw driver, 5/16” box wrench & marine grease
If the handle on your AMS Retriever® won’t turn freely or line is coming out in front of the bottle, the stripper (1031), line guide (1030) or both need to be adjusted. We recommend adjusting the line guide first:
- Loosen the line guide screw (1003) 1/2 turn. (do not remove)
- Push the line guide down completely so the handle won’t turn.
- Then push it back up slightly just until the handle turns freely.
- Holding the line guide in this location, tighten the screw.
If the handle still won’t turn or line is coming out in front of the bottle, the stripper (1031) also needs to be adjusted.
- The stripper is the cone shaped part between the bottle cap and the body of the Retriever.
- Loosen the trigger screw (1004) above it and the stripper screw (1003) below one turn. Just enough to move the part by hand.
- Slide the stripper/bottle cap assembly downward until it meets the rubber drive roller and the handle won’t turn at all.
- Now push the stripper/bottle cap assembly up just enough so the handle starts to turn freely. You want the stripper as close to the rubber drive roller as possible without touching it. This is the proper location for the stripper. If it is too high, line will come out in front of the bottle. If it is too low, it will rub against the rubber drive roller and make the handle difficult to turn.
- Holding the stripper/bottle cap assembly in place, tighten the lower stripper screw first. It has a built-in lock nut on the back side.
- Then tighten the trigger screw using a wrench to hold the nut in place on the back side.
- More than one attempt at this adjustment may be required.